- Typically, there are two adjustments to make before starting machine presses (vertical): the height of the seat and the depth of the back support.
- The seat will need to be set high enough where the handles of the apparatus are inline with the pectoral muscles.
- Set the back support to a level that allows the elbows to form an angle slightly beyond 90 degrees at the starting point.
- Grip the handles tightly and press forward. Do not arch the back during this process, use leverage against the back support to avoid injury.
- Once the arms reach a near straight line (keep a slight bend at the elbows), bring them back toward the body (inhale throughout this motion).
- Stop the arms once they reach a 90 degree angle and press forward again (exhaling through this motion).
- Repeat steps 5-6 as needed.
The required adjustments to make on the apparatus before performing machine presses (vertical) is largely dependent upon one's physical make up. Typically, the taller you are, the lower the seat will be and the less depth assistance will be needed on the back support. If you are shorter, then the seat will likely have to be set higher and the back support set closer to the handles.
Even those this is a machine exercise, it can still be very easy to break for and arch one's back. Caution must be taken as this can cause serious injury. By flexing the abdominal muscles and pressing the lower portion of the spine into them, one can form a wall and prevent injury.
As with any pressing motion, your elbows are susceptible to injury. The best way to avoid injury, as always, is proper form. Remember to not "lock out" your elbows in the extended position. This means that before you press to the point where you cannot press any further, stop - that is, keep an ever-so-slight bend in your elbow at the top point (extension) of the movement.
This myth pertains to women. A common myth that has propagated over the years is that doing incline presses can tone the breasts, and thereby prevent sagging. This is false. Breasts are fat - more exactly, they are comprised of adipose tissue, which is a sort of connective tissue. However, as is obvious, the more lean and healthy an individual is, the more likely they are to be pleased with the aesthetics of their appearance and overall feeling of well being.