L Pull-Up (Calisthenics)
- Face a raised pull-up/chin-up bar, and, if necessary (due to bar height), either using a small stool or jumping, grasp the bar overhand (i.e. palms facing forward) at the desired width (traditionally a wide grip is preferred for this exercise) and hang. Note: If you have difficulty holding onto the bar you may use lifting straps.
- Raise your legs until they are parallel to the ground (i.e. your body is in an "L" shape--your legs should be horizontal and your torso should be vertical). This is the starting position.
- Pull your chest (or chin) to the bar, keeping your body upright and puffing out your chest, while exhaling throughout the movement. Note: Your elbows should be pointing toward the sides, not forward.
- Slowly lower your body to the starting position, letting your arms fully extend (without letting your elbow joint slam as your arms are straightened), while inhaling throughout the negative (i.e. lowering) motion.
- Repeat step 3-4 for as many repetitions as are desired. Once the set is complete, be sure to lower your legs from their raised "L" position, of course.
Abdominals (Rectus Abdominis)
Abdominals (Rectus Abdominis: Lower Aspect)
Lats (Latissimus Dorsi)
Obliques (External Oblique)
Outer Back (Teres Major)
Abdominals (Rectus Abdominis: Upper Aspect)
Biceps (Biceps Brachii: Long 'Outer' Head)
Biceps (Biceps Brachii: Short 'Inner' Head)
Hips (Iliopsoas: Psoas Major)
Hips (Iliopsoas: Psoas Minor)
Hips (Tensor Fascia Lata)
Thighs (Quadriceps: Rectus Femoris)
Upper Back (Rhomboid Major)
Upper Back (Trapezius)
Chest (Pectoralis Major)
Forearms (Flexor: Carpi Radialis)
Forearms (Flexor: Carpi Ulnaris)
Forearms (Flexor: Digitorum Profundus)
Forearms (Flexor: Digitorum Superficialis)
Forearms (Flexor: Pollicis Longus)