A type of workout set where the number of repetitions (link) start high, decrease in sets 2 and 3, then increase during sets 4 and 5. Not only do the number of repetitions change, but the amount of weight used in the exercise does as well. As the number of repetitions decreases, the amount of weight used increases.
An example of a workout pyramid would be:
- Set 1: 10 repetitions @ 40 lbs
- Set 2: 8 repetitions @ 50 lbs
- Set 3: 6 repetitions @60 lbs
- Set 4: 8 repetitions @ 50 lbs
- Set 5: 10 repetitions @ 40 lbs
The pyramid method can be applied to any exercise but it should be planned for accordingly, especially with free weights as the weight variation aspect of it can take extra time between sets.